Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 tsp lemon zest (zest of 1 large lemon)
3/4 cup sugar + 1 tbs for sprinkling
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup half and half (or milk)
1. Cream butter with lemon zest and 3/4 cup sugar until blended.
2. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
3. Toss blueberries with 1/4 cup flour, then whisk together remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture slowly, alternating with half and half. Fold in blueberries.
5. Spread mixture in greased baking pan and sprinkle 1 tbs sugar on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Alexandra’s Kitchen.
I found this recipe on Pinterest and had to try it. I had some leftover blueberries that were about to go bye-bye and this seemed like the perfect dish to use them with. The cake is nice and moist and not too sweet. It is definitely like having a blueberry muffin in cake form, especially because the top becomes like the top of a muffin. It is nice and crunchy and sweet with the sugar on top. I would recommend trying this and having it around for breakfast or dessert.