Total Time: 10 minutes
4 Hass avocados
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large tomato (or about 3 smaller tomatoes), diced
1 – 2 limes
1/2 tsp chili powder
Salt to taste
Hand full of cilantro (optional)
For Chicken and Black Beans:
3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbs cumin
1 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can black beans
1. Gut the avocados and mash lightly with a fork. Add all other Guacamole ingredients and mix. Add salt and lime juice to taste, reserving some lime wedges for the side.
For Chicken and Black Beans
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Season chicken with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper generously on both sides.
2. Using a ridged cast iron grill pan (or other cast iron pan), heat oil of choice and fry chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes each side.
3. Put pan in oven and bake chicken for 20-25 minutes, until juices run clear when cut with a knife and/or there is no pink.
4. While chicken is baking, heat black beans in a pot until hot.
5. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, chips, tortillas, etc.
Recipe is an original.
I was born and raised in Southern California and therefore feel like I have a right to brag about my insane ability to make awesome guacamole. Seriously, awesome. And, of course, everyone thinks their guacamole is the best. Mine actually is. No, really. It is. Just try it. A lot of what goes in to guacamole is the avocados so stay tuned for How to Treat Your Avocados With Respect. Being from California definitely gives me an edge on how to take care of an avocado. Seriously. Just trust me.
I like my guacamole chunky and with lots of good flavors. And not much goes better with guacamole than chicken and beans. I tried out my ridged cast iron pan tonight for the first time and loved it. It gave the chicken a great flavor and a great look. Plus the cast iron can go straight from the stove top to the oven AND is easy to clean. I might just have to get some more cast iron.
Side note: The ridiculous amount of tomatoes in the full plate and the extra onions in with the chicken are because I made a half recipe of the guacamole and had left overs and nothing goes to waste!